Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Computer problems, Holy **** (4)

So I have a custom built computer and my problem began as a hardware issue with the desktop tower turning on and all of the fans running, but there was no input to my monitor. Quite a frustrating problem to approach.

I read posts online and disassembled and reassembled my tower multiple times to no avail. This is everything I did to fix the problem:
-Reseated my graphics card multiple times in different PCI express slots
-Reseated my motherboard multiple times
-Reset the CMOS
-Unplugged the monitor DVI cable & reinserted it multiple times
-Reseated the RAM multiple times
-Unplugged the harddrives and attempted to boot up

Still nothing.Grrr, what a headache.
But later did I realize that was not even the beginning of my problems.

Upon deliberation with a few friends of mine and the internet, I was given three possibilities on why this was happening:
a. My graphics card died
b. The cable between my tower and the monitor was broken
OR
c. There was a hardware issue with the monitor itself.

I went to the nearest computer parts store (Microcenter) and purchased a new graphics card
Nothing, no fix, no change in condition.
Went back to Microcenter and purchased a new IPS 22" LG Monitor and HDMI cable.
Nope, tried a new DVI cable that came with the monitor again.
Switched out the video card with my old one with the new monitor, nope.

Options a, b, and c had failed to produce a solution to my problem. This seemed to be a case like on HOUSE M.D. where nothing solves the problem continuously.

So down the rabbit hole I follow. I purchased a new 800W power supply unit to replace the 750W psu that I had just in case when I was purchasing the monitor and cable. Obviously this didn't fix the issue, but it would have been nice had it done so.

So again, back to microcenter to purchase a new motherboard that can hold my i7-930 with the LGA 1366 socket. Little did I realize that this new ASUS motherboard (my previous one was also ASUS) was incompatible with my 4gb of Kingston RAM: KHX1600C9D3K2. But i'll get to that in a sec.

No fix. So I am just out of possible problems it could be at this point, I have replaced every component of my tower (including the tower itself for aesthetic purposes, and because my giant heatsink wouldn't allow my old tower to close) except for the CPU, RAM and Harddrive.

So I have a friend look at it and he doesn't seem to find anything wrong with my assembly and also comes to the conclusion my CPU has died somehow.
WHY ME? ARGHHHHHHHHHHH.
So I call up microcenter and they say they have sold out of all of the i7-960's and every other LGA1366 socket cpu's they have, even the 8 core $1000 one. So I order a new CPU off newegg.com (i7-960), wait a week, and proceed to mount it into my tower. Nothing, no fix again.

Upon checking the new ASUS motherboard's manual, I find out that the RAM is incompatible with the motherboard, which I still don't fully understand why. But I venture back to microcenter another time to talk to a computer salesman and he tells me the motherboard I purchased (ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard) requires triple channel (or something like that) RAM and my 4gb wouldn't work. FUCK

My Kingston RAM: KHX1600C9D3K2 (4GB) was replaced with Kingston RAM: KHX1600C9D3K3 (6GB). So I've officially replaced every component in my computer wth the exception of the harddrive.

WHY IS THIS PROBLEM STILL HAPPENING??!?!?!
So I gave up.
I took my tower to microcenter and dropped it off there for a $70 diagnosis.
The technician said that there was a cord that wasn't connected to my graphics card and the motherboard. BUT my 32gb solid state ONYX harddrive had died. This wasn't a big issue but I purchased a new 60gb harddrive and reinstalled the Windows 7 OS on it.

Now I have 2 computers; or rather 1 full computer and the parts to another. The life lesson I learned was to just take a computer and get it inspected by a technician for $70. I was super stubborn and spent well over $1000 on pretty much making a new computer, including making 6 trips to Microcenter.

Specs on old computer:
Intel i7-930 cpu
ASUS P6T Motherboard
Coolermaster V8 heatsink
ATI 5850HD graphics card
4GB Kingston RAM: KHX1600C9D3K2
32GB OCZ ONYX ssd
1.0TB Seagate Barracuda Harddrive 7200rpm
19" Sony monitor (1280x1080 max resolution)
750W Thermaltake Power supply unit
Generic small tower

Specs on new computer:
Intel i7-960 cpu
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
Coolermaster V8 heatsink
ATI 5850HD graphics card
6GB Kingston RAM: KHX1600C9D3K3
60GB OCZ Agility 3 ssd
1.0TB Seagate Barracuda Harddrive 7200rpm
22" LG IPS Monitor (1920x1080 max resolution)
800W Corsair power supply unit
Corsair Graphite CC600TWM-WHT Mid tower


I decided to use my ATI 5850HD because the replacement graphics card I purchased was the ATI 5700 and it was a slightly lower quality. (AMD or ATI whatever it is now)

5850HD: 1GB GDDR5 RAM w/ 256bit interface
5700HD: 1GB GDDR5 RAM w/ 128bit interface

New computer rating on the Windows Experience Index (Scale 1.0-7.9): 7.5

Processor: Calculations per second: 7.5
Memory (RAM): Memory operations per second: 7.5
Graphics: Desktop performance for Windows Aero: 7.6
Gaming graphics: 3D business and gaming graphics performance: 7.6
Primary hard disk: Disk transfer rate: 7.9

No comments:

Post a Comment